As immigration attorneys, we are reminded on a daily basis just how absurd so many of our immigration laws are. Our clients and their friends and family members, upon learning more of some of these laws, often wonder what can be done to change this. In other words, “What can I do?” Here are a few suggestions:

Register to Vote

If you are a U.S. citizen but not currently registered to vote, please register today. You can visit where you may be able to register online, or download the necessary forms if your state does not provide for online registration. If you are a lawful permanent resident and you believe you qualify to apply for U.S. citizenship, call ANDERSON & BENSON at 385-388-4337 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today. Once you have naturalized, you can and should register to vote.


If you are a U.S. citizen and have registered to vote, then VOTE! But vote informed. Horrible immigration policy has come from members of both major political parties, so do your homework.

Contact Your Representatives in Congress

If you are a U.S. citizen, consider emailing, writing, or calling your current and potential representatives in Congress through this link. You may be surprised to learn just how many of them are similarly unaware of some of the absurdities of U.S. immigration law. Consider making some of the following arguments to your representatives.

Support Immigration Non-profit Organizations

Regardless of your immigration status, consider making a financial donation to nonprofit organizations that provide legal defense to immigrants. There are a lot of amazing organizations out there that do great work, and would benefit from your support. The difference between competent representation and no representation may quite literally be a matter of life and death.